You can read the announcement here. There has been are a lot of development in RetroArch this year. The last update I mentioned was 1.5.0, and 1.6.4 is a bugfix version for 1.6.0, which was released in June.
The most important thing of note in 1.6.4 is a focus on the FireOS Android platform and getting RetroArch into the Amazon App Store (coming soon):
- ANDROID: Fire Stick & Fire TV remote overrides gamepad port 0 on button press and viceversa like SHIELD devices
Beyond that, there’s a ton of stuff going on in RetroArch, below are the relevant changes to Android and overall in the major 1.6.0 release. The Audio Mixer seems to be the biggest functional addition:
- ANDROID: Runtime permission checking
- ANDROID: Improve autoconf fallback
- ANDROID: Improve shield portable/gamepad device grouping workaround
- ANDROID: Allow remotes to retain OK/Cancel position when menu_swap_ok_cancel is enabled
- LOCALIZATION: Update/finish French translation
- LOCALIZATION: Update German translation
- LOCALIZATION: Update Japanese translation
- LOCALIZATION/GUI: Korean font should display properly now with XMB/MaterialUI’s default font
- MENU: Improved rendering for XMB ribbon; using additive blending (Vulkan/GL)
- MISC: Various frontend optimizations.
- VIDEO: Fix threaded video regression; tickering of menu entries would no longer work.
- LOBBIES: Fallback to filename based matching if no CRC matches are found (for people making playlists by hand)
- LOBBIES: GUI refinement, show stop hosting when a host has been started, show disconnect when playing as client
- LOBBIES: if the game is already loaded it will try to connect directly instead of re-loading content (non-fullpath cores only)
- LOBBIES: unify both netplay menus
- THUMBNAILS: Thumbnails show up now in Load Content -> Collection, Information -> Database
- VULKAN: Unicode font rendering support. Should fix bad character encoding for French characters, etc.
- VULKAN: Fix some crashes on loading some thumbnails
- AUDIO: Audio mixer support. Mix up to 8 streams with the game’s audio.
Following adds the list of major changes in 1.4.1:
- Improved Netplay. This is the major new feature, and also the reason they’re calling it a beta.
- UTF-8 language support
- Free Bomberman clone, Mr.Boom. multiplayer only.
- New menu effects to make things prettier
- Vulkan N64 (ParaLLel) and PSX (Mednafen) works on Android. Vulkan is a low level graphics API like DirectX 10 and Metal. Don’t expect miracles, as GPU isn’t the bottleneck in either of these emulators.
- Improved performance
- Android: Fixed longstanding touch bug
- Android: GLES3/3.1 support. This enables the new fancy interface on supporting devices (2nd Gen 2015 Fire TV is only Fire TV device that supports 3.1, 1st Gen 2014 Fire TV supports 3.0)
I’ll update the main RetroArch post ASAP.